It was a beautiful day to celebrate our Independence! SEAS (Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan) had a great day hosting SEAS Water Sports with Sprecher Restaurant & Pub as the sponsor and partnering with EOS Surf Shop. There were eight pre-built boats and 13 drifter kits built this year. The riverfront was lined with people to watch the creative designs paddle to the finish, some making it and some not. The Drifter Division was a spectacular sight with some innovative designs this year making an astonishing appearance through three races to finish in the finals. A huge Thank You to all the volunteers who helped to make this event happen. Congratulations to all the award winners this year who received certificates and gift cards from Sprecher Restaurant and Pub!
Best Time: Missile Award
- Canoe Style Boat – Sea Scouts Old Glory (crew: Charlie Waituus & Cale Carlson)
- Box Style Boat– Badger State Restoration SS Badger (crew: captain Curtis Voight, Ashley Heinen, Jennifer List & Jill Klos)
Best in Show: The Admiral Award (Best exemplifies theme)
- Tanks for Serving: Jessica Ambelang captain (crew: Claire Slattery, Adeline Slattery, Thaddeus Slattery & Antonia Slattery)
Best almost sinking: Poseidon Adventure Award – Finished race with boat upside down
- SS Marcus: Becky Prestley captain, Marcus Theaters (Crew: Molly Mata, Stephen Nelson & Max Meyers
Most Recycled materials: Blue Bag Award - 70% of boat made from recycled materials
- Loose Cannon: Mike Altman captain (crew: Eric Altman, Rachel Altman, Brent Perronne, Russ Munroe & Michelle Walters)
- Jerry Kramer Offensive line Award for Best Block with a boat: SS Badger, Badger State Restoration (crew: captain Curtis Voight, Ashley Heinen, Jennifer List & Jill Klos)
- Grande Fromage: The SS Cheese Head (Crew: Charlie Kuehnau, Matt Pradarelli & Josh Pradarelli)
DRIFTER DIVISION – boats built on site with a kit
Best Time: Torpedo Award – Horvat & Sons; Benjamin Horvat & Christopher Horvat
Best sinking: Submarine Award – Chance 2 Dance; Susan Alby & Lisa Brotz
Most Innovative Design Award – The Submarine; Cohen Otte, Brett Steenwyk & Griffin Otte
- Consolation: Super Cow (crew: Nancy Morris, Cal Morris & Jack Morris)
We look forward to the event next year – Mark your calendars to build your boat!
SEAS you on the waterfront!