All hands on deck to spread the word about this great opportunity for empowering our young women! Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan (SEAS) and the Sheboygan Yacht Club are offering a scholarship for a young woman to join the voyage on the tall ship Denis Sullivan this July 18th to July 24th.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION BELOW:
Sisters Under Sail
Scholarship Application Form 2015
Girls, ages 13 – 18, are invited to sail with Sisters Under Sail aboard the tall ship Denis Sullivan this summer as an all-women crewed ship. Sisters Under Sail is a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching teen girls leadership skills and life lessons through sailing. Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan and Sheboygan Yacht Club will award a scholarship to an eligible teen for a 1-week passage and the adventure of a lifetime.
This scholarship opportunity, valued at $1,400, is available to girls between the ages of 13 – 18 with the follow parameters:
- Girls who have taken sailing instruction or demonstrated interest in marine activities.
- We consider many factors, including: response to application essay, letter of recommendation, community involvement, leadership experience and accomplishments.
- Applicants must submit the application by mail or electronically with essay and letter of recommendation by Wednesday, April 15th, 2015, 6pm EST.
- Mail: SEAS PO Box 1317, Sheboygan, WI 53082
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 920-457-8599
- If awarded, the participant must arrange for transportation to Mackinaw Island, MI where they will board the ship and their return transport from Milwaukee, WI.
- Paying it Forward: Upon completing the Sisters Under Sail onboard leadership program, the award winners will be required to host/attend a peer event to share their experience at the Sheboygan Yacht Club. Students will also be asked to provide video and/or written testimony about their adventure and lessons learned from the experience that can be utilized by Sisters Under Sail, SEAS and sponsors to further advance the program.
2015 PASSAGE DATES AND PORTS
- July 18 – July 24 Mackinaw Island, MI to Milwaukee, WI.
Travel to and from the vessel is the responsibility of the family and is not covered in the scholarship award.
Questions and Contact Information: If you have any questions about the program or application process, please contact Matt Wierzbach, via email or phone at email@example.com and cell: 920-935-3638. Visit our website at www.seasheboygan.org.
Please email the completed application to Matt Wierzbach: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 by 6pm EST.
A selection committee will review the applications and offer scholarship awards by May 15, 2015.
Essay Overcoming Obstacles
Each applicant is required to respond to the following question using no more than 400 words:
“We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated,” Maya Angelou said. Explain a time when you overcame an obstacle. What did you learn from the experience? How will you use this knowledge to improve your life and the lives of others?
Letter of Recommendation
Each applicant is to provide one letter of recommendation from a non-family member who can speak to the applicant’s strength of character. This letter of recommendation must accompany the application.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION BELOW: